Monthly Power Trading Results of May 2023
Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Brussels / London / Paris / Vienna, 6 June 2023
- A total volume of 56.3 TWh was traded on EPEX SPOT markets in May 2023 (May 2022: 49.1 TWh). This represents an overall increase of 12% on year.
- Power trading on the Day-Ahead markets on EPEX SPOT accounted for 42,576.6 GWh (May 2022: 38,288.9 GWh).
- The Swiss Day-Ahead market registered a new monthly record with 2,204.4 GWh traded.
- On the EPEX SPOT Intraday markets, a total volume of 13,767.9 GWh was traded (May 2022: 10,853.0 GWh). This represents an increase of 26.8% on year.
- The following Intraday markets reached a new record traded volume on either the auction or continuous segment: Austria (auction), Germany (auction), Great Britain (auction) and Poland (continuous).
In May 2023, 532.2 GWh were traded on the monthly auction for Guarantees of Origin, also a new record. Furthermore, the Exchange published its detailed feedback on the EU Commission proposals for Electricity Market Design Reform. EPEX SPOT also announced, jointly with Speedwell Climate, an expansion of their Renewable Quanto Index Suite and confirmed the successful go-live of 15 minute local contracts in Denmark, Finland and Sweden.
More details on volumes and prices are available in the enclosed report from page 4. Please note that volumes are calculated by using the common industry standard in electricity and exchange business: For auction trading, the one-sided Market Clearing Volume is listed. For continuous trading, the aggregated sell & buy volume is divided by 2.
In May, EPEX SPOT welcomed CET Energy SA, Enexion GmbH, THN Capital AG, and Tradergy S.L. as new members to the Exchange.
The European Power Exchange EPEX SPOT SE and its affiliates operate physical short-term electricity markets in Central Western Europe, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Nordics and in Poland. Furthermore, EPEX SPOT newly offers local flexibility markets solution and Guarantees of Origin auctions, to foster the integration of renewable energy sources and to enhance the engagement of consumers and producers in the power market. As part of EEX Group, a group of companies serving international commodity markets, EPEX SPOT is committed to the creation of a pan-European power market. Over 300 members trade electricity on EPEX SPOT. 49% of its equity is held by HGRT, a holding of transmission system operators.
For more information, please visit www.epexspot.com.