EPEX SPOT SE is a company with a two-tier governance system consisting of the Management Board and the Supervisory Board. It is held by EEX Group and HGRT and has two additional Exchange bodies, the Exchange Council and the Market Surveillance office.
EPEX SPOT SE
EPEX SPOT is operated by EPEX SPOT SE which is a European company (Societas Europaea or SE). EPEX SPOT SE is incorporated in France, but the rules that are applicable to it are defined at European level. The foundation of a Societas Europaea (SE) allows companies incorporated in different member states to merge or form a holding company or joint subsidiary, while avoiding the legal and practical constraints arising from the existence of different legal systems.
The shareholders appoint a Supervisory Board, composed of outstanding actors of the European energy sector, which elects the Management Board. While the Management Board is responsible for commercial, economic and operational decisions, the Supervisory Board approves the strategy and budget of the company, controls the actions of the management and elects the Management board. The creation of the Supervisory Board supports EPEX SPOT’s work on the integration of the European power market and takes into account the increasing number of collaborations of European and international scale.
The members of the Supervisory Board are:
- Dr Hans-Jürgen Brick, Chief Commercial Officer at Amprion GmbH;
- Mr Jean-François Conil-Lacoste, President of PELOUPIA SASU
- Mr Olivier Grabette, Executive Vice-President of RTE;
- Mr Thomas Karall, Chief Financial Officer of Austrian Power Grid AG (“APG”);
- Dr Egbert Laege, Member of the Management Board of EEX;
- Mr James Matthys-Donnadieu, Head Market Development of Elia
- Dr Dr Tobias Paulun (First Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board), Chief Strategy Officer of European Energy Exchange AG;
- Mr Peter Reitz (Chairman), Chief Executive Officer of EEX and European Commodity Clearing AG (“ECC”);
- Mr Hans E. Schweickardt, Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Polenergia Holding;
- Mrs Iris Weidinger, Chief Financial Officer of European Energy Exchange AG;
- Mr Yves Zumwald, Chief Executive Officer of Swissgrid AG.
The Exchange Council of EPEX SPOT is an official body of the Exchange. 26 members and 7 permanent guests represent adequately the diversity of economic and corporate profiles that exists among the Exchange Members: power trading companies, transmission system operators, regional suppliers, brokers and financial service providers, as well as commercial consumers and academics. This diversity reflects the objective of providing an efficient and competitive market in Europe.
Its missions include in particular the adoption of the Exchange Rules and the Code of Conduct of EPEX SPOT and their amendments. The Exchange Council approves new trading systems as well as new products or market areas and approves the appointment of the Head of the Market Surveillance. The body makes sure that the services and products of the exchange correspond to the needs of the market and that they can be implemented in legal and operational terms. It meets up quarterly.
By establishing an Exchange Council, EPEX SPOT has opened a permanent two-way street of interacting with our customers.
Members of the EPEX SPOT Exchange Council
The group of Banks, Financial Service Providers and Clearing Banks will be represented by:
ABN AMRO Clearing Bank N.V.: Vincent van Lith, European Head of Energy
The group of Utilities and Aggregators will be represented by:
- Alpiq SA: Pierre Guesry, Project Manager Strategy & Participation
- Compagnie Nationale du Rhône: Rémi Perrin, Head of Trading
- Direct Energie SA: Antoine Bourdon, Head of Trading
- EDF Trading Limited: Arnaud Luboinski, Head of French Power Trading
- Edison S.p.A.: Andrea Siri, Head of Power Origination
- EnBW AG: Dr. Bernhard Walter, Head of Market Design and Regulatory Affairs
- Eneco Energy Trade B.V.: Lucien J.W. Wiegers, Commercial Director, Head of Trading, Asset & Portfolio Management
- Enel Trade S.p.A: Dr. Nigel Hawkins, Head of Power and Fuel Portfolio Management
- Engie SA: Vincent Verbeke, Head of Energy Transition Services and Short Term Power
- RWE Supply & Trading GmbH: Paul Dawson, Head of Regulatory Affairs
- Statkraft Markets GmbH: Andreas Bader, Vice President Sales & New Products
- Uniper Global Commodities SE: Michael Bonde, Lead Trader
- Vattenfall Energy Trading GmbH: Marcus Bokermann, Director Prompt Power Trading Markets
- VERBUND Trading GmbH: Dr. Stephan Sharma, Member of the Managing Board
The group of Local Suppliers and Consumers will be represented by:
- Enercity (former Stadtwerke Hannover AG): Dr. Jan Sierig, Head of Markets
- EWE Trading GmbH: Dr. Michael Redanz, Managing Director
- MVV Trading GmbH: Stefan Sewckow, Managing Director
The group of TSOs will be represented by:
- Amprion GmbH: Ralf Lonsdorfer, Head of Frontoffice and System Planning
- Austrian Power Grid: Prof. Mag. Manfred Pils, Senior Advisor
- RTE: Emanuele Colombo, Director Power System Economics
The group of Trading companies will be represented by:
- Danske Commodities A/S: Anders Kring Jensen, Director, Head of Intraday Power Trading
- Energi Danmark A/S: Thomas Bjorn Houlind, Director Markets
- In Commodities A/S: Jesper Severin Johanson, CEO
- MFT Energy P/S: Çağdaş Ozan Ateş, CEO
- TrailStone GmbH: Cédric Le Tallec, Head of Short Term Power Trading
- 50Hertz Transmission GmbH: Dr. Dirk Biermann, Managing Director, Chief Markets and System Operation Officer
- Elia: James Matthys-Donnadieu, Head of Market Development
- Enedis: Sandrine Chevalier, Head of Flexibility Mechanism Department
- European University Institute: Leonardo Meeus, Professor
- Swissgrid AG: Dr. Jörg Spicker, Senior Strategic Advisor
- Tennet TSO GmbH: Thorsten Dietz, Head of Trade
- TransnetBW GmbH: Andreas Semmig, Head of Trading
EPEX SPOT’s equity capital is divided between EEX Group (51%) and HGRT (49%), a holding composed of the Transmission System Operators Amprion, APG, Elia, RTE, Swissgrid and TenneT. This shareholder structure illustrates that EPEX SPOT is as inclusive of as many interests as possible.