EPEX SPOT SE is a company with a two-tier governance system consisting of the Management Board and the Supervisory Board. It is held by EEX Group and HGRT and has two additional Exchange bodies, the Exchange Council and the Market Surveillance office.
EPEX SPOT SE
EPEX SPOT is operated by EPEX SPOT SE which is a European company (Societas Europaea or SE). EPEX SPOT SE is incorporated in France, but the rules that are applicable to it are defined at European level. The foundation of a Societas Europaea (SE) allows companies incorporated in different member states to merge or form a holding company or joint subsidiary, while avoiding the legal and practical constraints arising from the existence of different legal systems.
The shareholders appoint a Supervisory Board, composed of outstanding actors of the European energy sector, which elects the Management Board. While the Management Board is responsible for commercial, economic and operational decisions, the Supervisory Board approves the strategy and budget of the company, controls the actions of the management and elects the Management board. The creation of the Supervisory Board supports EPEX SPOT’s work on the integration of the European power market and takes into account the increasing number of collaborations of European and international scale.
The members of the Supervisory Board are:
- Mr Dietmar Beck, Senior Advisor European Markets and Congestion Management at Amprion GmbH;
- Mr Jean-François Conil-Lacoste, President of PELOUPIA SASU
- Mr Olivier Grabette, Executive Vice-President of RTE;
- Mr Thomas Karall, Chief Financial Officer of Austrian Power Grid AG (“APG”);
- Mrs Anja Kiessling, Chief Financial Officer of European Energy Exchange AG
- Dr Egbert Laege, Member of the Management Board of EEX;
- Mr James Matthys-Donnadieu (First Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board), Head Market Development of Elia
- Dr Dr Tobias Paulun (Second Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board), Chief Strategy Officer of European Energy Exchange AG;
- Mr Peter Reitz (Chairman), Chief Executive Officer of EEX and European Commodity Clearing AG (“ECC”);
- Mr Hans E. Schweickardt, Vice Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Polenergia Holding;
- Mrs Yvonne Visser-Stam, Head of Compliance and Integrity Officer at Tennet TSO BV
- Mr Yves Zumwald, Chief Executive Officer of Swissgrid AG.
The Exchange Council of EPEX SPOT is an official body of the Exchange. 27 members and 8 permanent guests represent adequately the diversity of economic and corporate profiles that exists among the Exchange Members: Utilities and aggregators, trading companies, local suppliers and consumers, transmission system operators, banks, financial service providers, clearing banks and academics. This diversity reflects the objective of providing an efficient and competitive market in Europe.
Its missions include in particular the adoption of the Exchange Rules and the Code of Conduct of EPEX SPOT and their amendments. The Exchange Council approves new trading systems as well as new products or market areas and approves the appointment of the Head of the Market Surveillance. The body makes sure that the services and products of the exchange correspond to the needs of the market and that they can be implemented in legal and operational terms. It meets up quarterly.
By establishing an Exchange Council, EPEX SPOT has opened a permanent two-way street of interacting with our customers.
Members of the EPEX SPOT Exchange Council
The group of Utilities and Aggregators will be represented by:
- Alpiq AG: Christoph Bellin, Head Intraday
- Compagnie Nationale du Rhône: Rémi Perrin, Head of Trading
- EDF Trading: Arnaud Luboinski, Head French Power Trading
- Edison S.p.A.: Andrea Siri, Head of Origination
- Electrabel SA: Vincent Verbeke, Member of the Executive Committee
- EnBW Energie-Baden-Württemberg AG: Dr. Bernhard Walter, Head of Market Design & Regulatory Affairs
- Eneco Energy Trade B.V.: Lucien Wiegers, Managing Director
- Enel: Dr. Nigel Hawkins, Senior Advisor, European Affairs & Studies
- innogy Commodity Markets GmbH: Axel Gerhardy, Managing Director / CEO
- Statkraft Markets GmbH: Patrick Otto, Head of Algorithmic Intraday Energy Management
- TotalEnergies Electricité et Gaz France SA: Antoine Bourdon, Director of Energy Management
- Uniper Global Commodities SE: Michael Bonde, Lead Power Trader
- Vattenfall Energy Trading GmbH: Simon Peiner, Director Prompt Trading and Operations
- VERBUND Energy4Business GmbH: Manfred Knabl, Head of Trading
The group of Trading companies will be represented by:
- Centrica Energy Trading A/S: Thomas Bang, Head of Trading & New Markets
- Danske Commodities A/S: Anders Severin Kring Jensen, Director, Head of Intraday
- enspired GmbH: Jürgen Mayerhofer, CEO & Co-Founder
- In Commodities: Jesper Johanson, CEO
- RESPECT ENERGY S.A.: Sebastian Jabłoński, Chairman of the Management Board
- RWE Supply & Trading GmbH: Paul Dawson, Head of Regulatory Affairs
- TrailStone Renewables GmbH: Cedric Le Tallec, Head of Power Trading
The group of Local Suppliers and Consumers will be represented by:
- enercity AG: Dr. Jan Sierig, Head of Markets
- EWE TRADING GmbH: Dr. Michael Redanz, Managing Director
- MVV Trading GmbH: Stefan Sewckow, Managing Director
The group of TSOs will be represented by:
- Amprion: Ralf Lonsdorfer, Head of Frontoffice-Energy Market
- RTE: Audrey Mahuet, Head of Transparency and Data
- Swissgrid: Dr. Joerg Spicker, Senior Strategic Advisor
- 50Hertz Transmission GmbH: Dr. Dirk Biermann, Managing Director, Chief Markets and System Operation Officer
- Austrian Power Grid AG: Christian Todem, Head of Market Management
- Elia: Benjamin Genêt, EU Market Integration
- Enedis: Sandrine Chevalier, Head of Flexibility Mechanism Department
- Northpool BV: Stefan de Weger, Lead Trader Intraday
- RWTH Aachen University: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Albert Moser, Professor Transmission Grids and Energy Economics
- Tennet TSO GmbH: Carsten Pflanz, Head European Integration Projects
- TransnetBW GmbH: Pavel Zolotarev, Head of Trading
Exchange Council Elections 2021
The mandate of the current Exchange Council is due to end in May 2021; therefore, elections took place to elect new members.
Publication of the election result
The elections of the Exchange Council were held per electronic vote from 7 to 28 May 2021. This year, the number of voters grew significantly, from 55 to 91 companies, of which 87 cast their vote. Furthermore, the number of candidates also increased from 35 to 38. Due to the lack of candidates, the group of Banks, Financial Service Providers and Clearing Banks have not elected a representative.
Herewith, we are pleased to share with you, the outcome of the EPEX SPOT Exchange Council Elections 2021. We would like to remind you that the election process follows the Exchange Rules of EPEX SPOT (Annex 1 - Election Procedure for the Exchange Council).
The newly elected Exchange Council will meet virtually on 23 June 2021, where the Chairman and Vice Chairman will be appointed. More information will be provided to the members of the Exchange Council.
We would like to thank all members who will leave the Council or who have not been elected, for their trusting cooperation.
Should you have any question regarding the election of the EPEX SPOT Exchange Council, don’t hesitate to send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publication of the election result
EPEX SPOT’s equity capital is divided between EEX Group (51%) and HGRT (49%), a holding composed of the Transmission System Operators Amprion, APG, Elia, RTE, Swissgrid and TenneT. This shareholder structure illustrates that EPEX SPOT is as inclusive of as many interests as possible.