Monthly Power Trading Results of October 2023
Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Brussels / London / Paris / Vienna, 6 November 2023
- A total volume of 65.5 TWh was traded on EPEX SPOT markets in October 2023 (October 2022: 52.2 TWh). This is a new monthly all-time high and represents an overall increase of 22.3% on year.
- Power trading on the Day-Ahead markets on EPEX SPOT accounted for 49,338.6 GWh (October 2022: 39,953.0 GWh).
- Great Britain and Sweden Day-Ahead markets registered a new monthly record.
- On the EPEX SPOT Intraday markets, a total volume of 16,117.5 GWh was traded (October 2022: 12,213.8 GWh). This represents an increase of 32.0% on year.
- The following Intraday markets reached a new record traded volume on either the auction or continuous segment: Belgium (continuous), Germany (auction), Great Britain (continuous and auction), Netherlands (continuous) and Poland (continuous).
In October 2023, 1,116.0 GWh were traded on the monthly auction for Guarantees of Origin. Furthermore, EEX and EPEX SPOT released a one-pager document with the six key challenges and tabled amendments within the initial proposal of the European Electricity Market Design (EMD) reform.
More details on volumes and prices are available in the enclosed report from page 4. Please note that volumes are calculated by using the common industry standard in electricity and exchange business: For auction trading, the one-sided Market Clearing Volume is listed. For continuous trading, the aggregated sell & buy volume is divided by 2.
In October, EPEX SPOT welcomed DIANE Energie 05 SAS, f(x) energy GmbH, Trafigura Denmark ApS and Veos S.p.A. as new members to the Exchange.
The European Power Exchange EPEX SPOT SE and its affiliates operate physical short-term electricity markets in Central Western Europe, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Nordics and in Poland. Furthermore, EPEX SPOT newly offers local flexibility markets solution and Guarantees of Origin auctions, to foster the integration of renewable energy sources and to enhance the engagement of consumers and producers in the power market. As part of EEX Group, a group of companies serving international commodity markets, EPEX SPOT is committed to the creation of a pan-European power market. Over 300 members trade electricity on EPEX SPOT. 49% of its equity is held by HGRT, a holding of transmission system operators.
For more information, please visit www.epexspot.com.