Monthly Power Trading Results of March 2023
Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Brussels / London / Paris / Vienna, 5 April 2023
- A total volume of 64.6 TWh was traded on EPEX SPOT markets in March 2023 (March 2022: 51.6 TWh). This represents an increase of 27.2% on year and is an new monthly trading record.
- Power trading on the Day-Ahead markets on EPEX SPOT grew by 18.0% on year and accounted for 48,182.4 GWh, a new monthly record (March 2022: 40,827.4 GWh).
- Traded volume on the Danish, Dutch, German and Polish Day-Ahead markets reached a new monthly record.
- On the EPEX SPOT Intraday markets, a total volume of 16,396.7 GWh was traded (March 2022: 10,739.4 GWh). This represents an increase of 54.8% on year and a monthly record.
- The following Intraday markets reached a new record traded volume on either the auction or continuous segment, or both: Austria (auction and continuous), Belgium (continuous), Germany (auction and continuous), Denmark (continuous), Finland (continuous), France (continuous), Great Britain (auction and continuous), the Netherlands (auction and continuous).
To access the detailed trading results, click here.
In March 2023, 129.3 GWh were traded on the monthly auction for Guarantees of Origin, also a new record. Furthermore, the Exchange announced, jointly with GOPACS, the go-live of its Localflex market in the Netherlands planned for June 2023. The Exchange Council of EPEX SPOT criticised the proposals of the EU Commission for an Electricity Market reform.
More details on volumes and prices are available in the enclosed report from page 4. Please note that volumes are calculated by using the common industry standard in electricity and exchange business: For auction trading, the one-sided Market Clearing Volume is listed. For continuous trading, the aggregated sell & buy volume is divided by 2.
In March, EPEX SPOT welcomed BASF Renewable Energy GmbH, be.storaged GmbH, CF Flex Power GmbH, Hafslund Eco Vannkraft AS, Peak Gen Top Co Limited and Vis Algorithmics ApS as new members to the Exchange.
The European Power Exchange EPEX SPOT SE and its affiliates operate physical short-term electricity markets in Central Western Europe, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Nordics and in Poland. Furthermore, EPEX SPOT newly offers local flexibility markets solution and Guarantees of Origin auctions, to foster the integration of renewable energy sources and to enhance the engagement of consumers and producers in the power market. As part of EEX Group, a group of companies serving international commodity markets, EPEX SPOT is committed to the creation of a pan-European power market. Over 300 members trade electricity on EPEX SPOT. 49% of its equity is held by HGRT, a holding of transmission system operators.
For more information, please visit www.epexspot.com.