Welcome to EPEX SPOT!

General conditions

Any user of this website expressly agrees to the Conditions of Use published in the Privacy Notice and the Usage of Website.


Market Data Use

The content of the Website is to be used exclusively for internal reasons. Commercial usage is only allowed after explicit approval of EPEX SPOT. Please click here for General Conditions of Data Use.

EPEX SPOT/EEX Power Derivatives: Power Trading results in June 2011

Paris, Leipzig 6 July 2011. In June 2011, a total volume of 114.6 TWh was traded on the Power Spot and Derivatives Market operated by EPEX Spot SE and EEX Power Derivatives respectively (June 2010: 136.4 TWh).

In June 2011, power trading on the day-ahead auctions on EPEX Spot accounted for a total of 22,711,709 MWh (June 2010: 21,355,184 MWh) and can be broken down as follows:

Areas Volume
Volume previous year
Base/peak on monthly average Euro/MWh (peak excl. weekends)
D/A 17,212,491 16,478,214 52.30 / 61.89
FR 4,585,681 4,131,787 43.403 / 58.418
CH 913,536 745,182 53.16 / 62.10
Elix - European Electricity Index 49.29 / 60.73

On the Intraday market a total volume of 1,292,550 MWh was traded in June (same month of the previous year: 876,037 MWh):

  • Germany 1,149,245 MWh (June 2010: 802,822 MWh)
  • France 143,305 MWh (June 2010: 73,215 MWh)

In June, cross-border trades represented 9 percent of the total Intraday volume.

The volume in power derivatives trading on EEX Power Derivatives amounted to 90.6 TWh in June (June 2010: 114.2 TWh). The total volume includes 7.3 TWh from trading in French Power Futures. The derivatives trading volume comprises 52.6 TWh from OTC clearing. On 30 June 2011, the open interest amounted to 600.7 TWh. On the Power Derivatives Market, the base load for the year 2012 was quoted at EUR 56.72 per MWh (Germany) and at EUR 55.66 per MWh (France) on 30 June 2011. The peak load price for the year 2012 amounted to EUR 70.79 per MWh (Germany) and to EUR 71.00 per MWh (France).

EEX Power Derivatives GmbH operates the German and the French Power Derivatives Market and, hence, occupies a central position in power trading in Continental Europe: Market participants on EEX Power Derivatives can trade power futures and options with financial settlement as well as futures with physical delivery to Germany and France. EEX AG holds 80 percent of the shares in EEX Power Derivatives GmbH and the French Powernext SA holds the remaining 20 percent. EEX Power Derivatives GmbH, established on 1st January 2008, is based in Leipzig and also has a branch in Paris.

EPEX Spot SE operates the power spot markets for France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland (Day Ahead and Intraday). Together these countries account for more than one third of the European electricity consumption. EPEX Spot is a Paris-based company under European law (Societas Europaea) with a branch in Leipzig. 279 TWh were traded on the EPEX Spot power markets in 2010.

Clearing and settlement of all EPEX Spot and EEX Power Derivatives transactions are provided by European Commodity Clearing AG (ECC), based in Leipzig, the clearing house of EEX and its partner exchanges.