Welcome to EPEX SPOT!

General conditions

Any user of this website expressly agrees to the Conditions of Use published in the Privacy Notice and the Usage of Website.


Market Data Use

The content of the Website is to be used exclusively for internal reasons. Commercial usage is only allowed after explicit approval of EPEX SPOT. Please click here for General Conditions of Data Use.

EPEX SPOT/EEX Power Derivatives: Power Trading results in July 2011

Paris, Leipzig 3 August 2011. In July 2011, a total volume of 98.7 TWh was traded on the Power Spot and Derivatives Market operated by EPEX Spot SE and EEX Power Derivatives respectively (July 2010: 115.9 TWh).

In July 2011, power trading on the day-ahead auctions on EPEX Spot accounted for a total of 24,415,298 MWh (July 2010: 22,318,803 MWh) and can be broken down as follows:

Areas Volume
Volume previous year
Base/peak on a monthly average Euro/MWh (peak excl. weekend)
D/A 18,910,126 17,349,684 46.4 / 56.68
FR 4,479,475 4,225,849 37.372 / 54.380
CH 1,025,697 743,270 46.58 / 56.68
Elix - European Electricity Index   43.52 / 54.55

On the Intraday market a total volume of 1,363,286 MWh was traded in July (same month of the previous year: 908,283 MWh):

  • Germany 1,225,412 MWh (July 2010: 864,457 MWh)
  • France 137,875 MWh (July 2010: 43,826 MWh)

In July, cross-border trades represented 10 percent of the total Intraday volume.

The volume in power derivatives trading on EEX Power Derivatives amounted to 72.9 TWh in July (July 2010: 92.7 TWh). The total volume includes 5.2 TWh from trading in French Power Futures. The derivatives trading volume comprises 37.9 TWh from OTC clearing. On 29 July 2011, the open interest amounted to 591.6 TWh. On the Power Derivatives Market, the base load for the year 2012 was quoted at EUR 57.48 per MWh (Germany) and at EUR 55.15 per MWh (France) on 29 July 2011. The peak load price for the year 2012 amounted to EUR 71.68 per MWh (Germany) and to EUR 70.93 per MWh (France).

EEX Power Derivatives GmbH operates the German and the French Power Derivatives Market and, hence, occupies a central position in power trading in Continental Europe: Market participants on EEX Power Derivatives can trade power futures and options with financial settlement as well as futures with physical delivery to Germany and France. EEX AG holds 80 percent of the shares in EEX Power Derivatives GmbH and the French Powernext SA holds the remaining 20 percent.

EPEX Spot SE operates the power spot markets for France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland (Day Ahead and Intraday). Together these countries account for more than one third of the European electricity consumption. EPEX Spot is a Paris-based company under European law (Societas Europaea) with a branch in Leipzig. 279 TWh were traded on the EPEX Spot power markets in 2010.

Clearing and settlement of all EPEX Spot and EEX Power Derivatives transactions are provided by European Commodity Clearing AG (ECC), based in Leipzig, the clearing house of EEX and its partner exchanges.