EPEX SPOT SE is a company with a two-tier governance system consisting of the Management Board and the Supervisory Board. It is held by EEX Group and HGRT and has two additional Exchange bodies, the Exchange Council and the Market Surveillance office.
EPEX SPOT SE
EPEX SPOT is operated by EPEX SPOT SE which is a European company (Societas Europaea or SE). EPEX SPOT SE is incorporated in France, but the rules that are applicable to it are defined at European level. The foundation of a Societas Europaea (SE) allows companies incorporated in different member states to merge or form a holding company or joint subsidiary, while avoiding the legal and practical constraints arising from the existence of different legal systems.
The shareholders appoint a Supervisory Board, composed of outstanding actors of the European energy sector, which elects the Management Board. While the Management Board is responsible for commercial, economic and operational decisions, the Supervisory Board approves the strategy and budget of the company, controls the actions of the management and elects the Management board. The creation of the Supervisory Board supports EPEX SPOT’s work on the integration of the European power market and takes into account the increasing number of collaborations of European and international scale.
The members of the Supervisory Board are:
- Mr Dietmar Beck, Senior Advisor European Markets and Congestion Management at Amprion GmbH;
- Mr Jean-François Conil-Lacoste, President, PELOUPIA SASU
- Mr Olivier Grabette, (First Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board) Senior Executive Vice President in charge, Industrial European Affairs, RTE;
- Mr Thomas Karall, Member of the Board, Austrian Power Grid AG;
- Mrs Anja Kiessling, Chief Financial Officer, European Energy Exchange AG;
- Dr Egbert Laege, Managing Director SEFE Securing Energy, Europe GmbH, Berlin;
- Mr James Matthys-Donnadieu, Head of Markets, ELIA SA;
- Dr Dr Tobias Paulun, (Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board), Chief Strategy Officer, European Energy Exchange AG;
- Mr Peter Reitz, (Chairman of the Supervisory Board) Chief Executive Officer, European Energy Exchange AG;
- Mr Hans E. Schweickardt, Member of the Supervisory Board, Polenergia SA;
- Mrs Yvonne Visser-Stam, Head Compliance & Integrity Officer, TenneT TSO B.V.
- Mr Yves Zumwald, Chief Executive Officer, Swissgrid AG.
The Exchange Council of EPEX SPOT is an official body of the Exchange. 27 members and 8 permanent guests represent adequately the diversity of economic and corporate profiles that exists among the Exchange Members: Utilities and aggregators, trading companies, local suppliers and consumers, transmission system operators, banks, financial service providers, clearing banks and academics. This diversity reflects the objective of providing an efficient and competitive market in Europe.
Its missions include in particular the adoption of the Exchange Rules and the Code of Conduct of EPEX SPOT and their amendments. The Exchange Council approves new trading systems as well as new products or market areas and approves the appointment of the Head of the Market Surveillance. The body makes sure that the services and products of the exchange correspond to the needs of the market and that they can be implemented in legal and operational terms. It meets up quarterly.
By establishing an Exchange Council, EPEX SPOT has opened a permanent two-way street of interacting with our customers.
Members of the EPEX SPOT Exchange Council
The group of Utilities and Aggregators will be represented by:
- Alpiq AG: Christoph Bellin, Head Intraday
- Compagnie Nationale du Rhône: Rémi Perrin, Head of Trading
- EDF Trading: Jonathan Halimi, Intraday Power Trading Manager
- Edison S.p.A.: Andrea Siri, Head of Origination
- Electrabel SA: Vincent Verbeke, Member of the Executive Committee
- EnBW Energie-Baden-Württemberg AG: Dr. Bernhard Walter, Head of Market Design & Regulatory Affairs
- Eneco Energy Trade B.V.: Tom van den Akker, Head of Trading
- Enel Global Trading S.p.A.: Dominic Vincent Ursino, Head of Power Trading Italy
- E.ON Energy Markets GmbH: Axel Gerhardy, Managing Director
- Statkraft Markets GmbH: Patrick Otto, Head of Algorithmic Intraday Energy Management
- TotalEnergies Electricité et Gaz France SA: Antoine Bourdon, Director of Energy Management
- Uniper Global Commodities SE: Michael Bonde, Lead Power Trader
- Vattenfall Energy Trading GmbH: Simon Peiner, Director Prompt Trading and Operations
- VERBUND Energy4Business GmbH: Manfred Knabl, Head of Trading
The group of Trading Companies will be represented by:
- Centrica Energy Trading A/S: Thomas Bang, Head of Trading & New Markets
- Danske Commodities A/S: Anders Severin Kring Jensen, Director, Head of Intraday
- enspired GmbH: Jürgen Mayerhofer, CEO & Co-Founder
- In Commodities: Kenneth Søndergaard, Head of Intraday Trading
- RESPECT ENERGY S.A.: Sebastian Jabłoński, Chairman of the Management Board
- RWE Supply & Trading GmbH: Paul Dawson, Head of Regulatory Affairs
- TrailStone Renewables GmbH: Cedric Le Tallec, Head of Power Trading
The group of Local Suppliers and Consumers will be represented by:
- enercity AG: Dr. Jan Sierig, Head of Markets
- EWE TRADING GmbH: Svend Ocke Bull, Head of Short Term Trading
- MVV Trading GmbH: Stefan Sewckow, Managing Director
The group of TSOs will be represented by:
- Amprion: Ralf Lonsdorfer, Head of Frontoffice-Energy Market
- RTE: Audrey Mahuet, Head of Transparency and Data
- Swissgrid: Dr. Joerg Spicker, Senior Strategic Advisor
- 50Hertz Transmission GmbH: Dr. Dirk Biermann, Managing Director, Chief Markets and System Operation Officer
- Austrian Power Grid AG: Christian Todem, Head of Market Management
- Elia: Benjamin Genêt, EU Market Integration
- Enedis: Sandrine Chevalier, Head of Flexibility Mechanism Department
- Northpool BV: Stefan de Weger, Lead Trader Intraday
- RWTH Aachen University: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Albert Moser, Professor Transmission Grids and Energy Economics
- Tennet TSO GmbH: Carsten Pflanz, Head European Integration Projects
- TransnetBW GmbH: Pavel Zolotarev, Head of Trading
EPEX SPOT’s equity capital is divided between EEX Group (51%) and HGRT (49%), a holding composed of the Transmission System Operators Amprion, APG, Elia, RTE, Swissgrid and TenneT. This shareholder structure illustrates that EPEX SPOT is as inclusive of as many interests as possible.